- This event has passed.
Rising Strong™ Workshop for Gay, Bi + Queer men (London – July 2022)
July 2 @ 10:00 am - July 3 @ 5:30 pm BST
“The truth is that falling hurts. The dare is to keep being brave and feel your way back
Join us in July 2022 for Rising Strong™ Workshop for Gay, Bi + Queer Men
“The truth is that falling hurts. The dare is to keep being brave and feel your way back up” – Brené Brown
Rising Strong™ is a process based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown. Her pioneering work uncovered a profound truth: Vulnerability – the willingness to show up and be seen with no guarantee of outcome – is the only path to more love, belonging, creativity and joy. But living a brave life is not always easy: We are inevitably going to stumble and fall.
The Rising Strong™ process is about what it takes to get back up and how owning our stories of struggle gives us the power to write a daring new ending.
For over 10 years Ade and Darren have been delivering specially designed programs to the gay community and they are excited to bring this popular Brené Brown program to gay, bi + queer participants.
This program has been generously supported by the Social Enterprise Support Fund from The National Lottery. Registration places are subsidised by this grant making it more affordable for the diverse range of participants we attract.
To secure your place please book early.
Rising Strong™ Workshop
We all go through struggle – asking somebody out that does not want us, expressing our feelings and not being understood, saying something at work that didn’t land very well; the list is endless – failing feels painful and can trigger shame, disappointment and a whole range of emotions and thoughts.
Sometimes we avoid pursuing our heart desires because we fear failing. And sometimes when we do, we don’t get back up and we give up. But if we want to break away from the crowd and live wholehearted lives, we have to be courageous and different; doing this inevitable means we will sometimes fall.
This workshop is all about learning to get back up and how to become a highly resilient individual. How do we bounce back from failure? How do you recover from being exposed?
By taking part in the Rising Strong™ Workshop you will learn how to apply the Rising Strong™ process to your day-to-day life and become empowered to write wholehearted new endings to your stories. You will also:
- Become familiar with the physics of vulnerability and the ten rules of engagement for rising strong.
- Identify the values that are most important in your life and learn why values clarification is essential to the development of resiliency.
- Become familiar with the Rising Strong process and goals – rise from our falls, overcome our mistakes, and face hurt in a way that brings more wisdom and wholeheartedness to our lives.
- Raise your awareness about: the feelings associated with emotions, your response to emotion, and how emotion, thought, and behavior are interconnected.
- Practice and build skills to engage with and experience emotion, including mindfulness and breathing.
- Deepen your emotional vocabulary and self-awareness
- Comprehend that as humans, we have meaning-making in our biology and are compelled to make up stories – even if they are based on incomplete information.
- Reclaim and integrate orphaned parts of yourself and celebrate that wholeness through creative expression.
The Rising Strong™ workshop is an interactive mix of –
- Psycho experiential and educational exploration
- Viewings of videos from Brené, created specifically for Rising Strong™
- Group discussions
- Creative exercises
- Self reflection and inquiry
Included in the registration fee –
- Your personal Rising Strong™ workbook
- Light refreshments during the weekend
- Post workshop activity
- Optional coaching session with Darren Brady (to take place within 3 months of completion of the workshop)
Date: Saturday 2nd July (10am – 6pm) and Sunday 3rd July 2020 (10am – 5.30pm)
ABOUT BRENÉ BROWN
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston, where she holds the Huffington Foundation Endowed Chair at the Graduate College of Social Work. Brené is also a visiting professor in management at the University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business.
She has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy; is the author of six #1 New York Times best sellers; and is the host of the weekly Spotify original podcasts Unlocking Us and Dare to Lead.
Brené’s books have been translated into more than 30 languages, and her titles include Atlas of the Heart, Dare to Lead, Braving the Wilderness, Rising Strong, Daring Greatly, and The Gifts of Imperfection. With Tarana Burke, she co-edited the best?selling anthology You Are Your Best Thing: Vulnerability, Shame Resilience, and the Black Experience.
Her TED talk on the Power of Vulnerability is one of the top five most-viewed TED talks in the world, with over 50 million views. She is also the first researcher to have a filmed lecture on Netflix. The Call to Courage special debuted on the streaming service in April 2019.
Brené lives in Houston, Texas, with her husband, Steve. They have two children, Ellen and Charlie.